In the 16thcentury the Sicilian pulpier Ruggeri won the glorious competition of the Catharina de ‘Medici with a creation of “a frozen sweetness”. He instantly became famous for it and soon the delicacy spread over to Italy.
Ice cream is a dish or delicacy that’s traditionally eaten in a frozen state, often as a dessert. Nowadays there are many different types and flavours of ice cream.
- 2500 ml whole milk
- 1250 ml whipped cream
- 5 tablespoons cinnamon
- 375 gram sugar
- 20 egg yolks
- 100 gram skimmed milk powder
- 5 gelatine sheets
- 5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Ice machines
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Lay the gelatine sheets in a bowl of water.
- Wisk the egg yolks with a little bit of the sugar.
- Put the milk, the remaining sugar, the skimmed milk powder and the vanilla extract together in a pot and let it cook.
- Wring out the gelatine sheets and let them dissolve in the milk mixture.
- Pour part of the cooked milk mixture into the bowl of whisked egg yolks and stir well.
- Now whisk the egg- and milk mixture with the remaining egg yolks.
- Heat this up to 85°C. A point of reference is when a small layer of the mixture remains on the spoon. Do not cook the mixture.
- Pour it through a sieve and mix it with the cinnamon.
- Put the bowl in a water/ice bath and stir until the mixture has cooled down completely.
- Carefully whisk the whipped cream through the mixture.
- Pour the ice cream mixture in the ice machines and
- follow the machine’s instructions. Work in portions.
- Make sure that the milk, whipped cream and egg yolks stay preserved on a low temperature to avoid spoilage.
- Make sure that the ice cream mixture is cold when you put it into the ice machine. You could put it in the shock freezer for a few minutes before proceeding.
- The skimmed milk powder and the gelatine sheets provide a better structure of the ice cream. It is possible to leave these ingredients out.
- Preserve the ice cream in a closed off tray.
- You can store the ice cream in the freezer. The ice cream has a shelf life of one year.
Allergens: Contains: milk (lactose) and egg