Maria Seppälä, 31 year-old, mother of two, from Philippines. Maria was born in Manila, the capital of the said country. For over 1,78 million people living in Manila, food is the main
necessity. “In Philippines we eat three times a day and we love rice. But “merienda” or so- called snacking, is my favourite part of the day”
Maria is now living in Kankaanpää, Finland. She first worked for five years as a practical nurse in a big nursing home located in Tampere. Then after almost six years of being stay- at-home mom, she finally had the chance to follow her dream, to start a new profession dealing with food service and to be a professional cook. She is now studying at Sataedu Catering School located also in Kankaanpää.
This recipe is used on Maria’s food week. “Inihaw na Manok” (‘ee-nee-haw-nah-mah-nok’) which is also called as Chicken Barbecue. This barbecue dish is unique and so loved by every Filipinos. The secret is to marinate it the night before. The ingredients are simple. Just mix it together, pour it on the chicken, keep it in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight. The best way to cook is by grilling.
- 800 g chicken breasts 1 whole fresh pineapple 8 scallions
- 4 red bell peppers
For marinade and glazing:
- 1 overripe banana
- dl ketchup
- dl lemonade
- 1/4 dl sesame oil
- 1,5dl brown sugar
- 0,5dl lemon juice
- 1dl soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger, crushed
- 3 garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- Prepare the Marinade.
- Peel and mash banana and place to saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat to boil and simmer for10 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Cut the chicken breasts into desired cut.
- Marinade the chicken breasts in half of the marinade mixture, reserve the other half for glazing.
- Marinade overnight.
- Peel and cut pineapple to desired cuts. Remember to cut off the hard part.
- Cut the scallions 5cm wide.
- Cube the red bell peppers.
- Skew according to the pattern: marinated chicken, pineapple slices, red bell pepper, scallions and repeat.
- Grill the skewers.
- Brush the glazing in between.
- Served with steamed rice
- Relevant information about hygiene, safety, healthy food, food waste, storage and expire date, etc.
- Be careful with raw chicken meat. Keep it on a cool place.
- When you use chicken meat, use yellow chopping board, clean all material and the working place to avoid contamination with bacteria.
- Vegetables should be thoroughly cleaned with fresh cold water. Cut vegetables using green chopping board.
- Steamed rice is best served hot. Spoils easily in room temperature. Best to refrigerate the leftover rice in a tight sealed container to avoid from drying. Can be used the next day as fried rice.